Collection and use of Personal data
Sjöcrona Van Stigt Advocaten (hereinafter: “Sjöcrona · van Stigt”) collects and uses your personal data as controller under the European General Data Protection Regulation (hereinafter: “GDPR”).
This privacy statement was set down on the below date. Sjöcrona · van Stigt reserves the right to unilaterally amend its privacy statement. The most recent privacy statement will be published on the website.
Personal data refers here to all information about an identified or identifiable natural person. The personal data that Sjöcrona · van Stigt can process includes:
- your name and contact details such as your email address, postal address, home address and telephone number;
- personal details that you provide us as part of attending meetings or via the contact form on the website;
- personal details that you provide us for a job application;
- all other personal details pertaining to you, including personal data of a special nature, that you provide or Sjöcrona · van Stigt has acquired in connection with the objectives and on the basis of the principles outlined below.
Sjöcrona · van Stigt acquires this data for example: (i) because you have provided this (for example, when entering into a contract, when entering your details on the website, when giving your business card or when applying for a job); (ii) from other sources, such as a client, another lawyer, another counterpart, another process party, the Registry of Companies, the Land Registry or other public sources.
Objectives and principles for the processing of personal data
Sjöcrona · van Stigt uses personal data for:
- delivering its services;
- meeting its legal obligations;
- responding to your questions;
- direct marketing, such as sending information and invitations;
- handling job applications;
- preventing and detecting fraud and other criminal offences.
Sjöcrona · van Stigt processes your personal data on the basis of one or more of the following principles:
- your permission;
- the execution of a contract;
- meeting a legal obligation;
- justified (other) interest.
Sjöcrona · van Stigt retains your personal data no longer than is necessary for achieving the objectives stated in this privacy statement.
In principle, Sjöcrona · van Stigt applies the following retention period:
- file: 5 years after completion of the case;
- (financial) administrative data: 7 years after recording of the data;
- data of staff and freelancers, other than (financial) administrative data: 5 years after leaving employment and/or after the assignment agreement;
- data of job applicants: 4 weeks after completion of the job application procedure, unless the applicant has given permission for his/her data to be retained for longer, in which case a period of 2 years after completion of the job application applies;
- data of student interns: 4 weeks after completion of the student internship, unless the intern has given permission for his/her data to be retained for longer, in which case a period of 2 years after completion of the internship procedure applies;
- visitors of the website and recipients of newsletters of Sjöcrona · van Stigt: 2 years after the last visit to the website and/or 2 years after unsubscribing from the newsletter, unless a prior objection was made which would then lead to destruction.
Transfer to third parties
In certain cases Sjöcrona · van Stigt may also share your personal data with third parties, including, but not limited to:
- third parties that are relevant to the services provided by Sjöcrona · van Stigt such as counterparts, other lawyers, (hired as part of a case) experts, bailiffs, courts and other government institutions;
- third parties, such as regulators and other institutions, in order to meet legal obligations;
- suppliers for the processing of your personal data for the purposes described in this privacy statement, such as ICT suppliers;
- suppliers of communication services or other suppliers to whom Sjöcrona · van Stigt outsources particular ancillary services.
The transfer of your personal data to the above third parties will only be carried out for the purposes stated in this privacy statement and solely on the basis of the principles outlined in this privacy statement.
Third parties to whom your personal data is provided are responsible themselves for complying with the privacy legislation. Sjöcrona · van Stigt is neither responsible nor liable for the processing of your personal data by these third parties. Insofar as a third party processes your personal data as a (sub)processor of Sjöcrona · van Stigt, Sjöcrona · van Stigt will sign a processing agreement with such a third party that meets the requirements of the GDPR.
If, in order to carry out its services, Sjöcrona · van Stigt has to pass on your personal data to a recipient in a country outside the EEA, Sjöcrona · van Stigt will ensure that such a transfer of data will be in compliance with the applicable regulations and legislation.
Sjöcrona · van Stigt will take appropriate technical and organisational measures in order to safeguard your personal data against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against loss, destruction, damage, alteration or publication. If you are aware of any indications of misuse, you are requested to contact Sjöcrona · van Stigt.
As a party involved you have certain rights:
- the right to access. This means that you are entitled to inspect the personal data that Sjöcrona · van Stigt has collected of you. Circumstances may arise in which Sjöcrona · van Stigt is authorised, by virtue of for example professional privilege, to refuse your request to issue you with copies of your personal data;
- the right to have your data rectified or improved if the data is incorrect or incomplete;
- the right to delete your data. Circumstances may however arise in which Sjöcrona · van Stigt is obliged to keep your data in order to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- the right to object, or to request a restriction, to the processing of your personal data. The above exemption may also apply to this, whereby Sjöcrona · van Stigt is authorised not to comply with your request;
- the right to receive your data in a structured, common and machine-readable form;
- the right to submit a complaint with a regulator;
- the right to withdraw the permission given. This can also include circumstances in which Sjöcrona · van Stigt remains authorised to continue processing your data.
If you have any questions or comments, or wish to exercise any of the above rights or other rights based on the GDPR and other similar regulations, please contact Sjöcrona · van Stigt (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Hague, November 2019