Partner, admitted to the Bar in 2006
Dutch, English and German
- Leiden University (criminal law and criminal procedure)
- Willem Pompe Institute of Criminal Law (specialisation course in criminal law, postgraduate)
- 2023 - present deputy judge, Amsterdam Court of Appeal
- 2017 - present member of the Disciplinary Commission of the Foundation for Banking Ethics Enforcement (FBEE)
- 2017 - present member of the Admissions Committee of the Association of Cassation Lawyers in Criminal Law Cases (VCAS)
- 2016 - 2023 board member and acting chairman, Dutch Association of Defence Counsel (NVSA)
- 2014 - 2018 member of the Criminal Law Advisory Committee, the Netherlands Bar (NOvA)
About Thijs Kelder
Thijs Kelder mainly handles complex economic and business-related criminal cases. He focuses on environmental criminal law (including WSR and Brzo), criminal cases in the maritime sector, (fatal) industrial accidents, bribery and fraud cases and legal assistance to professional privilege holders (medical institutions, doctors, lawyers and civil-law notaries). As a member of a special team of lawyers that assist the Dutch National Police, Thijs is regularly called in to defend investigating officers who come into conflict with criminal law.Thijs also frequently acts for other government institutions and their officials in criminal investigations and proceedings. Finally, Thijs is a recognised cassation specialist who heads our firm’s cassation section.
Thijs Kelder is a distinguished corporate criminal defense specialist who is celebrated by market sources for his "enormous knowledge and vast experience" in the field.Who’s who legal - 2023
Education and career
Thijs graduated cum laude in criminal law and criminal procedure from Leiden University. He wrote two theses that were awarded prizes. In 2012, he completed the postgraduate specialisation course in criminal law at the Willem Pompe Institute of Criminal Law. Besides his work as a lawyer, Thijs holds various other positions: he is a deputy justice at the Amsterdam Court of Appeal, a member of the Admission Committee of the Association of Cassation Lawyers in Criminal Law Cases (VCAS) and a member of the Disciplinary Commission of the Foundation for Banking Ethics Enforcement (FBEE). Thijs also regularly provides training and courses for other lawyers. He also publishes frequently in the field of criminal law and criminal procedure.
Thijs is a partner and joined the partnership from 1 January 2016.
Thijs is registered in the register of areas of law of the Netherlands Bar as a specialist in criminal law. This specialism includes:
- Financial-economic criminal law
- Fiscal criminal law
- International criminal law
- Environmental criminal law
In addition, he is registered as a specialist Cassation (criminal).
Thijs obtains a minimum of ten training points each calendar year in the field of these specialisations according to the standards of the the Netherlands Bar.
Cassation expert Thijs Kelder represents clients on international transportation crime cases. Thijs Kelder is notable for his extensive knowledge of cassation law.The Legal 500 - 2023
- Dutch Association of Defence Counsel (NVSA)
- Association of Cassation Lawyers in Criminal Law Cases (VCAS)
- Association of Environmental Lawyers (VMA)