Associate, admitted to the Bar in 2017
Dutch, English German and Frisian
- Leiden University (criminal and procedural law, constitutional and administrative law)
- Willem Pompe Institute for Criminal Law (Preparation course in criminal law)
- 2022 - present Volunteer (maatje) Big Brothers Big Sisters Utrecht
- 2022 - present Permanent contributor to the Sanctions Law & Company Magazine
- 2018 - 2021 Board member VVD Region Utrecht
- 2019 - 2020 Closing session committee Young Bar Association The Hague
- 2018 - 2019 Young Bar Association Gelderland travel committee
About Lidewij Bergsma
Lidewij Bergsma mainly handles economic and medical criminal cases, as well as traffic cases. In particular, Lidewij specialises in environmental criminal law, medical criminal law, enforcement issues and BIBOB cases. With both an administrative and criminal law background, Lidewij has specialised in cases at the interface of both areas of law. In addition, Lidewij assists various doctors, nurses and other healthcare providers in medical criminal cases. Lidewij also assists various healthcare institutions (including hospitals and healthcare institutions specialising in home care, mental health care and/or oral care) in a variety of criminal investigations.
For the Sanctions Law & Company Magazine, Lidewij is a regular contributor to the current affairs column Economic criminal law: environment. Lidewij also publishes regularly in renowned journals.
Education and career
Lidewij studied criminal and criminal procedural law and constitutional and administrative law at Leiden University. During her studies, she worked in the legal profession and at the Public Prosecution Service. She also gained years of political experience as a municipal councillor.
After graduating, Lidewij worked as a lecturer in criminal (procedural) law at Leiden University. In 2017, she started working as a lawyer. She has since built up expertise in criminal law as well as administrative law and health law.
Lidewij is registered in the register of areas of law of the Netherlands Bar as a specialist in criminal law. This specialism includes:
- Common criminal law
- Medical criminal law
- Financial-economic criminal law
- Environmental criminal law
- Working conditions criminal law
Lidewij obtains a minimum of ten training points in the field of this specialisation every calendar year according to the standards of the Netherlands Bar.
- Dutch Association of Young Defence Counsel (NVJSA)